Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sleepless in...Cliche?

So here it is, almost 2am on Tuesday morning.  The alarm will go off at 7am to get the kiddo ready for school.  I will be dead tomorrow.  What is keeping me up you may ask?  Well, I haven't been sleeping great lately anyway.  Worry about my new business, a lazy sleep schedule from being off work for over a year, and not eating right are contributors.  Tonight, though, there's something more.

I know everyone has things in life that they think back on and wonder if they did the right thing or the wrong thing.  I would think that once in a while, everyone has a moment where they remember something dumb they did or said that caused unintended consequences such as straining a relationship or even completely destroying one.  Well, sometimes I feel that I have an overactive conscience.  I try really hard to be a nice person.  To be a good person.  But I can remember things going back to high school, and in one particular incident, before, that weigh on my mind.  Yes, I know that I should let these things go, but I know that I have hurt people, and in turn friendships...in a few cases even destroyed them.  All because of a lack of control over my mouth.  In the case of the pre-high-school one, a lack of control coupled with a somewhat charismatic friend.

Some people I know for sure that I said something stupid and hurt them and possibly ruined a friendship.  Worse (at least I think so), there are things I remember saying in which I think MAY have hurt someone...but I'll likely always wonder if that thing that I said or did really did hurt them or if I am just feeling guilty.

Maybe I can sleep now 2 hours later...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know that we all do these things. And you beat yourself up about it.. Those are things of the past and you just have to learn from them. So here is my two cents. If you feel bad about saying something to someone then go to them and say you are sorry if you hurt or fended them. Then give them permission to call you on it if it happens again. This will keep your lines of communication open. You will always know who your friends are because they will always be there for you... love ya Aunt Donna