Sunday, January 13, 2013

Goodbye to the old life...hello to the new...

So, here I am back after another two years and embarking on a new adventure.  A while ago, I had written that I was in a funk, and it turns out part of that was probably my job.  I loved my job when I started.  I felt safe there.  I was doing biology which truth be told, I am not very good at but I really enjoy.  My now husband used to laugh at me because I would come home all excited about something that happened with whatever bacteria I was working with.

I felt a bit of stagnation after a few years but my passion rekindled when I started on a big new project that allowed me to not only learn something new but to specialize in something.  This was great for a while...then I started having some interpersonal issues.  Probably things I should have seen coming and definitely should have handled better...but real issues nonetheless and issues that weren't all in my head.  They were confirmed by others who I highly respected and saw what was happening but were powerless to help.  Meanwhile I spiraled.  I came close to quitting a few times being incredibly unhappy and feeling like I had no other choice.

Then, I did have a choice.  And I decided that I wanted to be done with the corporate world and that job in particular, but I wanted to be done on my terms.  So with the blessing of super supportive hubby, I took the plunge and decided to go into business for myself. I am hoping this will be a good move and fun to boot.  I am seeing a long road ahead of me so far but It looks like it's pretty straight and well-lit.

I have been vindicated somewhat in that it seems I am missed at my old job.  I am perversely happy about this especially since I felt like I had no impact there at all.  I miss my friends terribly, but am making an effort to keep in touch with them.

1 comment:

Doranna said...

Hey Tonja,
I really, really hear you. You are so brave to take this step. Best of luck in your endeavors!